In another step towards achieving our goal of a sustainable community, the Lakeside Marketing Center has achieved certification at the silver level under the United States Green Building Council’s LEED for Commercial Interiors. This great achievement is another win for the Lakeside team and Chicago's South Side.
The marketing center was built in 1890, and was previously used as the credit union and the Foreign Inspectors Building for US Steel Southworks. McCaffery Interests and partners retrofitted the 120 year old structure with Energy Star appliances, energy-efficient lighting, low-flow plumbing fixture and new windows to take advantage of natural daylighting and views. Low VOC-emitting paint, sealants and adhesives were used in construction, and over 93% of the waste materials were diverted from landfills. Lakeside has a recycling program and has procured off-site renewable energy. The grounds contain water-efficient landscaping and a cistern for collecting rainwater.
Green design not only makes a positive impact on public health and the environment, it also reduces operating costs, enhances building and organizational marketability, potentially increases occupant productivity, and helps create a sustainable community.
Lakeside Marketing Center joins McCaffery Interests’ other LEED certified developments: The Morgan at Loyola Station (LEED-NC silver), Flair Tower (LEED-NC silver), the Lakeside Master Plan (LEED-ND pilot precertification) and Lot 24 (LEED-NC, pending review).
McCaffery Interests favors urban infill, multi-use, transit-oriented developments. For more information, please visit the corporate website.